The Good Shepherd Catholic Community believes in lifelong faith formation…
Lifelong faith formation seeks to develop the whole person to see things first through the eyes of faith. Our primary means of doing this is through catechesis, which essentially means "to resound or echo." Lifelong faith formation “resounds” the faith given first to the Jewish people chosen by God, then echoed to the first Christians through the Apostles, and is now passed between us, from generation to generation. Our goal is to lead people to a mature, adult faith.
According to the National Directory for Catechesis, the six fundamental tasks of catechesis are: knowledge of the faith, liturgical education, moral formation, teaching to pray, community life, and missionary spirit. Our commitment to lifelong faith formation means that all elements of catechesis work in concert to continue forming the faith of all parishioners.
A Catholic with mature adult faith is a person who:
· continues growing in knowledge of faith;
· is formed by the liturgy – readings, homilies, songs, prayers, community, and especially
· makes moral decisions prayerfully and with the teachings of the Church as part of the process
of decision making;
· prays on a regular basis, alone and in community;
· participates in the life of the community through social activities and/or education activities;
· carries out the mission of the church by serving in the local and global communities
The Catholic with a mature, adult, faith understands that:
· all sacramental celebrations, especially weekly attendance at Lord’s Day Mass, mark important
steps on our journey as we continue to grow in faith together by embracing our responsibility as
members of God’s family
· faith formation does not end with the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation
· one must be intentional about forming her or his faith throughout one’s life
· we seek to become what we already are, the Body of Christ
We invite you to join us in our Adult Faith Formation ministry. To learn more about current opportunities and programs, please contact Phillip Sandoval, Good Shepherd Director of Faith Formation, at email@example.com.